Problems of Evil
If God exists, why is there evil in the world?
God = the omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, eternal, selfexistent creator of the universe
Omniscient = All knowing = Knows all truths
Omnipotent = All powerful = God can do anything that is logically possible to do
Omnibenevolent = All good = God is maximally benevolent/good
God’s existence ilogically incompatible with existence of evil
1. If God exists, then God is the three omnis.
2. A threeomnis God would be aware of all evil.
3. A threeomnis God could prevent all evil.
4. If a threeomnis Gocould prevent all evil, then would do what is good and prevent all evil.
5. If God prevented all evil, then there would be no evil.
6. Therefore, if God exists, there would be no evil.
Atheistic Argument from Evil:
1. If God exists, there would be no evil.
2. There is evil 3. Therefore, God does not exist.
It’s not plausible to reject (2)
Evil is a part of most religious doctrines (e.g. sin)
The theist will deny (P3):
Evil exists, but it was impossible for God to create a better world than this.
The evil is necessary for the attainment of some overriding good.
What overriding good is SO GOOD that is would outweigh all the evil in the world?
Theistic Free Will Defense
1. Freedom is intrinsically good.
2. It is impossible to create free agents and control them to do no evil.
3. If God is the three omnis, then God will