Boston College (3,526)
POLI 2608 (6)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
Political Science
POLI 2608
John Makransky

DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND INTERNATIONAL  RELATIONS Posc 150  STATE ­CAPITAL RELATIONSHIP  I. CONTENTS: 1. State and capitalism 2. Case study: Social Security II. SOME 1. Reprinted from last week. 2. â(This is a major point) Many analysts feel it is a mistake to think of government (the state) and the capitalist economic system as totally separate entities that frequently fight with one another. 1. What we have in the United States is not pluralist democracy, but capitalist liberal democracy. i. Liberal democracy: 1. 1) Political rights are preeminent. 2. 2) èRights extend to bodies such as corporations. ii. èCapitalism 1) Semi-market place. a) Economic activities run from fully competitive to fully monopolistic. 2. 2) Core versus periphery sectors. 3. 3) Vertical and horizontal integration. 4. 4) Managerial class(es) versus owners. 5. 5) Cross-national ownership, management, capital flows (investments) 6. 6) Decisions have national and economic consequences. 2. See Figure 1 on page 4. C. âCapitalism is not self-sustaining 1. It needs supports that must be supplied by coercive external forces, namely states. i. See the Tragedy of Commons argument. ii. T Support for airlines. D. âConsequently, the two–the state and capitalism–cannot be separated. st th 1. Thought experiment: imagine 21 century capitalism with 18 century size and style government. i. Could it–the capitalist system–exist? 2. Another thought experiment: Suppose you wanted to reform fundamentally government. Wouldn’t you have to remake entirely the economic and political systems? i. It wouldn’t be enough simply to “take over” the present GENERALIZATIONS ABOUT THE STATEAND CAPITALISM: Posc 150 Class 7 ­ State ­ Capitalism Page 2  government. III. SOME SPECIFIC MANIFESTATIONS OF STATE CAPITALISM:A. Functions of the state. B. The role of “state managers”: reproduction of structures of accumulation. 1. Management of the business cycle. i. èPrice stability ii. Aggregate supply iii. Productivity growth. iv. Tools: the Federal Reserve Bank, congressional fiscal policy. 2. Direct and indirect support i. Subsides and aid to specific industries. ii. Tariff and trade policy. iii. Research and development iv. "Infrastructure" (e.g., roads, harbors, airports) 1) T Highway construction. 3. Provision of "human capital" (schools, health, job training) i. Who or what segment of society is pushing hardest for educational reform ii. Supply of trained, "disciplined" labor to enhance productivity 4. Social harmony i. Labor management conflict. ii. âLeg
More Less

Related notes for POLI 2608

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.