Summer 2018

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLI 2342
Professor
Hale
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
!
The Colonial Covenant !
each member is responsible for the whole community!
suer with others, sympathy with people, infuse a desire to defend other people!
but we resist this, Adam's nature of the fall !
Puritan notion!
!
town is where people live their public life, where they interact and get along with people!
the community has to help us overcome our selfish nature -> humans are "fallen"!
!
part of humans but can be overcome with the right spiritual practice and community!
we are naturally isolated!
!
fulfillment of nature is the classical ideal -> the noblest citizens are the ones that fulfill what
nature has called them to do!
the Puritans had a much dierent conception!
!
for the puritans, nature consist of things that need to be overcome, not indulged!
need the community to help us!
no life outside community!
!
notion of nature rights!
when the puritans built communities these principles a political and religion merged into
one!
church and government were intrinsically linked!
!
result of this merger is the New England town -> Tocqueville said that Puritans founded
American!
Puritans governed themselves peacefully with words and debate!
it was the first place where free people agreed to tax themselves!
!
this notion is foreign to us -> political community is important!
Puritans were dierent !
!
they didn't insist on rejecting the material world!
the temporal world is where we live!
there, Christian love is made manifest!
if something is wrong, they will know!
!
the purpose of civil and ecclesiastical power -> improve lives, serve the lord, preserve posterity
of evil world, work out salvation!
this town has responsibilities that the townspeople undertake!
all freemen sit in the town meeting and made decisions!
send delegates to court!
!
all men issued land in accordance with children and preeminence !
didn't allow continuous land properties!
scattered land prevents people from being the best!
!
who governs in this place?!

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The Colonial Covenant each member is responsible for the whole community suer with others, sympathy with people, infuse a desire to defend other people but we resist this, Adams nature of the fall Puritan notion town is where people live their public life, where they interact and get along with people the community has to help us overcome our selsh nature > humans are fallen part of humans but can be overcome with the right spiritual practice and community we are naturally isolated fulllment of nature is the classical ideal > the noblest citizens are the ones that fulll what nature has called them to do the Puritans had a much dierent conception for the puritans, nature consist of things that need to be overcome, not indulged need the community to help us no life outside community notion of nature rights when the puritans built communities these principles a political and religion merged into one church and government were intrinsically linked result of this merger is the New England town > Tocqueville said that Puritans founded American Puritans governed themselves peacefully with words and debate it was the rst place where free people agreed to tax themselves this notion is foreign to us > political community is important Puritans were dierent they didnt insist on rejecting the material world the temporal world is where we live there, Christian love is made manifest if something is wrong, they will know the purpose of civil and ecclesiastical power > improve lives, serve the lord, preserve posterity of evil world, work out salvation this town has responsibilities that the townspeople undertake all freemen sit in the town meeting and made decisions send delegates to court all men issued land in accordance with children and preeminence didnt allow continuous land properties scattered land prevents people from being the best who governs in this place?
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit