SOCY1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Elite, White Supremacy, White Privilege

40 views4 pages

Document Summary

Reading: whiteness as property: norms bring with them value and privilege, critical race theory new way of thinking about race relations in the. Social construction of whiteness: american society structured on racial caste system a. i. Caste lacks fluidity (versus stratification) white and black in this case: history has taught whites to rely on expect benefits associated with whiteness b. i. Expectations have been made more tangible by our legal system b. ii. The law isn"t always uniform, but its interest in protecting whiteness is shown throughout history (establishment of case law in the colonies, etc. : today we will discuss the relationship between race and property c. i. Now, whiteness is a property that one can claim c. ii. Rights and property are contingent on an inflated with race (or whiteness) How is race socially constructed: racialization of identity a. i. Resulted in ideological basis for conquest of america a. ii. Resulting in importing and enslavement of non-whites: seizure of b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers