ENGLISH 119 Lecture Notes - Lecture 24: Liminality, Epistolary Novel

27 views2 pages
School
Department

Document Summary

Fantomina, part ii class presentation: haywood as an author, gave various conflicting accounts of her own life a. i) very secretive did not want to be misrepresented in print, first appears as mrs. Role is more criticism of the fop-culture at the time in london (a. ii. 1) Male character is feminine // female character is masculine a. i) beauplaisir is unable to reveal the identity of fantomina himself: more of a thwarted romance b. i) doesn"t marry her unwilling to take responsibility (b. i. 1) Criticism of men in fop-culture as highly feminine and condemned for that (b. i. 1. b) Criticism of all men to show that they can all be manipulated (b. i. 1. b. i) the mother is the one who throws down the punishment, not an ideal man who puts beauplaisir in his place. She doesn"t want him to hang around for the baby b. ii) (b. ii. 1) Power-dynamic: print and manuscript cultures, epistolary fiction (novel written in a series of letters) a. i) associated manuscript with female expressive self a. ii)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers