CAS BI 525 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Synuclein, Neuromelanin, Paraquat

12 views3 pages

Document Summary

Class notes for bi525/ne525: lecture 7: alpha synuclein and: alpha synuclein. Gain of toxic function: modification that leads to toxicity b. ii. Loss of physiological function: modification of a loss cellular function (see slide. 19: why was this identified early? c. i. Significant increased risk of developing pd who worked more than 10 years on a plantation. a. i. Inhibit mitochondrial complex i mitochondrial dysfunction: welding and exposure to heavy metals (such as zinc, amalgam, copper, lead, iron, manganese b. i. Cause oxidative stress and production of ros b. ii. Later cause in disease: ros are done after mitochondrial complex: all of these exposures can affect mitochondrial complexes leading to mitochondrial dysfunction c. i. Includes alpha-synuclein (in lewy bodies: parkin: e3 ligase: protein degradation b. i. It would not be working: pink1: mitochondrial kinase. Communicates with parkin to eliminate bad mitochondria c. ii. Bad mitochondria are not being able to eliminated: dj1: role in translation or transcription? e.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers