4 Pages
Unlock Document

Central Michigan University
Broadcast and Cinematic Arts
BCA 223
Aaron Jones

January 30, 2014 Production… and the art of producing! 1. Production Personnel a. Producer i. Responsible for everything. Pre, pro, and post. b. Director i. Directs talent and technical operations. Responsible for translating the producer’s ideas into an effective message. ii. Directs the technical crew. c. Technical Director i. Operates the video switcher during production. ii. Manages the technical crew. d. Assistant Director i. Assists the director during the production. Times the show in a studio setting. e. Graphics Operator i. Uses CG machine to call up premade graphics. Also responsible for graphics creation when no art department is available. f. Audio Director i. Responsible for any and all things audio. Runs cables, sets up microphones, and operates the audio console during production. g. Playback/VTR i. Operates the recording/playback system. h. Camera Operator i. Operates camera during the production. i. Floor Director i. Manages the studio floor. Coordinates talent and crew, serve as Director’s mouth and ears during production. j. Talent i. People who appear on camera. 2. Types of Production a. Studio Production i. Typically a multi-camera system (uses more than one camera) ii. Used for live, or live-to-tape productions iii. Utilizes a control room b. Field Production i. Anything outside of a studio environment (aka “on location”) ii. ENG- Electronic News Gathering 1. Pre, pro, posted on the go 2. Usually 1 camera/tripod/mic 3. Edited in the field, maybe FTP (final transfer protocol) or live iii. EFP- Electronic Field Production 1. Pre-produced in advance, intended for postproduction 2. 1 or more cameras/mics 3. May be live-to-tape events or multi-scene/multi-take productions 3. Video Equipment a. Field Cameras i. On-camera mics and control ii. Most professional cameras have swappable lenses iii. Record to some type of media (SD, HDD, tape, etc.) iv. Mounted on tripod for stability b. Studio Cameras i. No on-camera mics ii. Controlled by a Camera Control Unit (CCU) iii. Recorded to an external device iv. Mounted on pedestals for mobilityAND stability v. Usually have a teleprompter mounted to the front 4. Audio a. Equally as important as video!- DON’T NEGLECT IT! b. Field and studio audio follow the same principals i. Mics collect the sound ii. Mixed (adjusted) with some kind of controlling device iii. Monitored during production iv. Monitored DURING production v. MONITORED DURING PRODUCTION!!! 5. Audio Equipment a. Microphones i. Lavalieres (lav mics), shotgun/boom, handheld, etc. b. Audio Mixers (field production) i. Limited number of inputs ii. Usually use dials for control c. Audio Consoles (studio production) i. Large number of inputs ii. Uses sliders and dials for controls d. VU Meters e. Monitors 6. Lighting a. Two types of lighting i. Directional (highly focused light, hard shadows) ii. Diffused (soft and even, soft shadows) 1. TV shows and Newscasts use a lot of diffused light so they don’t have to worry about working with and editing shadows. b. All lights require a power source i. Studios have lighting grids suspended from the ceiling ii. EFP/ENG uses extension cords, some batte
More Less

Related notes for BCA 223

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.