COMM 1500 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Denotation, Phil Gramm, Doublespeak

40 views2 pages

Document Summary

Assess the importance of language in communication events. Demonstrate how the elements of language (sounds, words, grammar, and meaning) affect communication. Explain how language can create barriers to effective communication. Illustrate the impact of technology on language usage. Describe how accurate, vivid, immediate, appropriate, and metaphorical language can help you be a more effective communicator. Language is a structured system of signs, sounds, gestures, or marks used to express ideas and feelings among people within a community. People (cid:449)ho do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e the po(cid:449)er of (cid:862)(cid:272)orre(cid:272)t of appropriate(cid:863) la(cid:374)guage ha(cid:448)e little (cid:448)oi(cid:272)e i(cid:374) their words. Denotation is the common meaning associated with a word standard dictionary meaning. Connotation subjective meaning of a word, what a word suggests is based on the context in which the word is used. For example i sa(cid:455) (cid:862)that"s gross(cid:863) i(cid:374) respo(cid:374)se to a(cid:374) ugl(cid:455) (cid:271)ug. The de(cid:374)otati(cid:448)e meaning of gross is an aggregate of 12 dozen things.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers