For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Packaging and the Environment
o Environmental issues today are called “sustainability”
o What really happened with regard to laws?
▪ Last bottle bill was in Hawaii – 2002, enacted in 2005
▪ No federal laws specific to packaging
▪ Maine repealed (1987) ban on aseptic drink boxes
▪ States proposed many bills requiring minimum levels of
recycled content of a percentage reduction of solid waste
by specific deadlines – some of this happened and some
• Why is packaging waste such a big issue with the public?
o Packaging represents 1/3 of all the solid waste that goes to
o High visibility
o Hard to prevent since everything requires a package
• What issues still exist?
o Degradable / biodegradable packaging
o Acceptable residual content in packages that contain recycled
o Many consumer misperceptions
▪ CFC’s (chlorofluorocarbons)
▪ Landfills closing, running out of space
• People don’t want landfills in their backyard or near
their homes, not running out of space just running