PSYCH 4150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Roast Beef, James Mill, Johann Friedrich Herbart

14 views3 pages
4 Apr 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

For essay, write about the struggle of the idea of truth vs. no truth. Is there real truth to the world, or is there one answer to the world? . Mechanistic thinking cheapens the real quality of human experience. The best way to do this is to experience nature (or engage in spiritual discovery). Contents of mind: wanted to know how things work together to create mind, agreed with locke"s ideas. How do they get hooked together: synchronically (spatial contiguity) Things that occur at the same time. I am eating roast beef, so i see roast beef and i taste roast beef. Most ideas probably occur in this way: successively (temporal contiguity) Lightning and thunder (they always go together) Everything in our mind is simply a combination of sensations due to association. For the mills, association is the driving force of the mind. Also an atomist because he is breaking things down into their absolute smallest parts (similar to reductionist)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers