PSYC 421 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Emma Lazarus, Family Reunification, Culture Shock

23 views6 pages
15 Aug 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

I lift my lamp beside the golden door! Migrate : to move from one country,region, or to another (temporarily or permanently) Emigrate: to leave one"s country or region to settle in another. Immigrate: to come to a country of which one is not a native (usually permanent) Home country /country of origin (person emigrating from) What challenges do immigrants face in their new country. Learning new cultural behaviors and values ( e. g. , parenting) Trying to maintain culture based behaviors and values. May lose independence finding /getting a job. Have to understand their exit & entry (what do they face in their new country)contexts (push pull) Antecendent variables : motivating factors before moving. Adaptation process : why they are greeted , greeted with support better adaptation, greeted with more negative - my struggle adaptation. Assimilation : becoming much like the dominant group as the host society as possible want to take their language behavior as your own.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers