HIST 1015 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: William Laud, Plymouth Company, Elizabethan Religious Settlement

26 views4 pages
7 Sep 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The call to purify the church of england: new england: maine, new hampshire, vermont, massachusetts, Connecticut, rhode island: 1559: elizabethan settlement with book of common prayer b. i. Radical protestants (calvinists) unhappy because didn"t get rid of christian rituals b. ii. Diehard catholics unhappy because not using the bible: arminianism c. i. Free will doctrine humans can change own destiny c. ii. Opposed by calvinists because conflicts with predestination: puritans: english calvinists d. i. Called puritans because wanted to strip church of catholic roots d. ii. Middle class = more educated than most d. iii. 2. Wanted thought-provoking sermons d. iii. 4. popular amongst merchants/artisans d. iii. 4. a. Success going to heaven bc god must like them d. iv. England gov. wanted everyone to be part of church of e, but. Puritans didn"t want people going to hell to become members d. vi. Separtists: decided to leave corrupt church of e and start own church d. vi. 2. Troubles under bishop laud: king james i (1603-1625) suspicious of puritanism, king charles i (1625-1649) son b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers