Premium

3 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOLOGY 321
Professor
Dr.Drea

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Primate Sexuality Next Exam: SPRING is key word to remember for extra credit!! I. Hormonal Cycle of Females a. Last lecture: established covariation between periovulatory surge of estradiol (E2) and female sexual behaviors b. Caveat: this same peak point there is ALSO a peak in testosterone—could this be the real hormone behind the increased female sexual behavior II. Adrenal Androgens in Female Behavior Waxenberg, Drellich & Sutherland (1959) a. Study subjects: 29 women, 51 years of age (mean0 b. Procedure: simultaneous ovariectomy & adrenalectomy (because of metatastic breast cancer) c. Results: Reported greater loss in libido following adrenal ectomy than from ovariectomy, most women lost sexual desire postoperative decrease in intercourse d. Interpretation: adrenal critical to maintenance of libido e. Problems? i. Removal of adrenals does not imply that androgens are whats causing loss in sexual desire, as androgens are precursors for estrogens ii. Also, loss in sexual desire could be from the fact that they are dying of breast cancer, having surgeries… lots of confounding psychological factors and biological iii. Also no critical control condition (adrenalectomy without ovariectomy III. Adrenal Suppression Study – Lovejoy & Wallen (1990) a. Could test if this is true by inhibiting adrenal androgens with dexamethasone (from previous study) b. Subjects: 8 intact female rhesus in social group, 2 vasectomized males c. Procedure: studied for 2 menstrual cycles; for 1: Dex administered via SC osmotic minipump, during other cycle: pumps contained sterile water d. Design: double-blind cross-over study; one half get Dex first then control condition, other half get control first and then Dex i. Every individual undergoes both treatments, so this eliminates individual differences by every female serving as a control for themselves ii. Eliminates effects from order of administration e. Wanted to ensure dex did not disrupt estrogens so that they could isolate effects from the androgens; no significant difference found i. All females showed normal hormonal ovulation f. Would the dex sufficiently suppress adrenals? i. Rapidly suppressed cortisol (suppressed to 10%), androstenedione, testosterone (suppressed by 50%) g. Observed many different behaviors that signal female initiation and a few male initiated behavior and found no significant difference for ANY of the behaviors—aka they didn’t change when androgens were removed h. Conclusion: adrenal androgens have no effect on F behavior or attractivity, thus ovarian hormones are sufficient to modulate F sexual behavior i. H/e, ovarian hormones produce androgens in women, the adrenals are not the exclusive source of androgens ii. Testosterone can convert either to an estrogen, or can be converted to DHT iii. Explains why testosterone only suppressed for 50%--androgens still present from the ovaries i. This study does not eliminate the possibility that ovarian androgens drive female behavior, so need to modify the study IV. Role of “Ovarian” Androgens in Female Sexual Behavior a. Subjects: 19 adult ovex F, 8 intact adult M; done in the breeding season so ales have sexual interest b. Procedures: i. Females injected daily for 10 days with (treatment groups): 1. vehicle(NoRx): hypothesize no sexual behaviors, - - 2. E(2)B (estradiol benzoate): hypothesis is more sexual behavior, + +
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit