PSYCH-225 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Murder Of Kitty Genovese, Prosocial Behavior, Kin Selection

9 views2 pages

Document Summary

Prosocial behavior: is any action intended to help others. One motivation for prosocial behavior is altruism, or the desire to help others with no expectation of reward. Kitty genovese non helping 37 who saw murder didn"t call the police - the. Prosocial behavior: any act performed with the goal of benefiting another. Altruism: concern and help for another that asks for nothing in return even if it involvers a cost to oneself. Evolutionary psychology: human social behavior + animal behavior = Central concept is reproduction so genetics are passed on. Reciprocal altruism: reciprocity you help me if you help me. Empathy altruism hypothesis: (batson) i"m concerned about another person and an intent on alleviating their pain. Empathy: the ability to put oneself in someone else"s shoes. Smiths empathic joy hypothesis: empathy leads to helping but the motivation is to vicariously share in the joy the helpee experiences when his or her distress is relieved egoist model.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers