SYG-1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Emma Lazarus, Negroid, Authoritarian Personality

54 views6 pages

Document Summary

Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door. A category of people separated on basis of real or alleged physical characteristics. Examples: eye shape, skin color, hair texture, or similar subjectively selected attributes. A category that passed on cultural or nationality characteristics. *caucasian: person with relatively light skin and fine hair. *negroid: person with darker skin and courser, curlier hair. *mongoloid: person with yellow or brown skin and distinct shaped eyelids. Unique cultural traits, e. g. , language, holidays, religious practices, clothing. Territoriality a tendency to stay in a particular area upon immigration. *middle ages to 18th century: determined by family ties, family line. *18th century: physical characteristics and differences in religion and cultural traditions. *later 19th century: distinct biological categories used to establish hierarchies, usually tied to social darwinism. *20th century: skin color and concept of racial purity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers