SOC 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Labeling Theory, Proletariat, Bourgeoisie

12 views2 pages
20 Aug 2020
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Studied industrialization -> poverty & oppression: capitalism. Struggle between: owners of means of production (bourgeoisie, workers that sell their labor to owners (proletariat) Capitalism leads to alienation: people are estranged from their social world and feel life is meaningless. Society consists of individuals who constantly interact. They use symbols to communicate values and thereby create social consensus i. e. handshakes. Social problems are learned from others through social interaction i. e. new broadcasters telling people about issues throughout the world. Learning theory people learn troublesome attitudes and behaviors from others around i. e. being socialized into a street gang because your family is. Labeling theory - those who do not meet the shared consensus are stigmatized or labeled them as deviant. The richer you get, the more favorable you are to god. Imprisoned in an iron cage of bureaucracy. What is culture? i. e. the dmv way of life. The values, beliefs, behavior, and material objects that, together, form a people"s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers