International Affairs
Course
INTA 1110
Professor
Tarun Chaudhary
Semester
Fall

Description
Neorealism From Human Nature to Structure Game Theory - “The Stag Hunt” - Equilibrium outcomes define relations between nations i.e. nuclear weapon dilemma Structural Realism - Waltz o World is characterized by anarchy o There is no authority higher than the nation state  This creates a world of self-help  Self-interest o Every nation is functionally the same o Countries in the system are differentiated in terms of capabilities – no hierarchy of authority (as opposed to Morgenthau)  There is, however, a hierarchy of power  weapons, etc.  Security dilemma  If I start making weapons, she will feel unsafe and begin to make some to counter the threat – never ending cycle o Human Nature  Human nature is inherently immeasurable  There is no scientific basis for any theory of IR  Choices are constrained by the system and distribution of capabilities  Strive for power in order to achieve security; choices will be rational based on understanding of the system and capabilities  see stag hunt Debates within Realism - Defensive vs. Offensive Realism (Mershiemer) o Defensive (Waltz)  Countries want to maintain stability; will not pursue power beyond a certain threshold o Offensive (Mershiemer)  States will pursue power in increasing amounts  Will seek to become hegemon in whatever region it exists in Polarity - Bipolar world  two opposing alliance structures keeps world stable (Cold War) - Multipolar world  several interlocking alliances keep world stable until structures
More Less

Related notes for INTA 1110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit