HNRS 130 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Social Comparison Theory, Context-Dependent Memory, Frontal Lobe

23 views3 pages

Document Summary

Identities are the traits and characteristics, social relations, roles, and social group memberships that define who one is. Feeling that you know yourself facilitates using the self to make choices. Identities are not fixed makers but are dynamically constructed in the moment basic operationalization: self. Inclues both the actor who thinks and the object of thinking. The self can be considered primarily a cognitive capacity such that what constitutes the me aspect of self is created inside of and imbedded within moment-to-moment situations. Individual and collective perspectives (me vs. us) Immersed or distal perspectives (actors vs. observers) basic operationalization: self-concept. Cognitive structures that can include content, attitudes, or evaluative judgments and are used to make sense of the world, focus attention on one"s goals, and protect one"s sense of basic worth. Differ in structure and content organization (positive, negative, gender, race, etc. ) Researchers can easily prime a person to think about the me or us self concept basic operationalization: identity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers