CJ 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Social Stratification, Social Inequality, Labeling Theory

32 views2 pages
10 Oct 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Classical- one has free will to choose whether to commit crimes. Biological- crime is caused by a biological or biochemical influence over which the offender has no control. Psychosocial- criminal behavior is a result of emotions, drives, and mental defects. Sociological- crime is caused by socioeconomic conditions and social interactions and values. People freely choose to engage in crime after considering various courses of action. Punishments of offenders need to be certain, swift, and severe enough to deter crime. Scientific method- starts as a hypothesis then its tested and proven. Individuals have free will and choose to commit crime, people commit crimes because of internal or external forces that can be observed & measured. Conscious vs. subconscious- thinking about something vs. not thinking at all (flinching) Positive theory- biological, psychological and sociological schools of thought. Cesare lombroso- (cid:862)fathe(cid:396) of (cid:373)ode(cid:396)(cid:374) (cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:373)i(cid:374)olog(cid:455)(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)fathe(cid:396) of s(cid:272)ie(cid:374)tifi(cid:272) (cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:373)i(cid:374)olog(cid:455)(cid:863) Believed you were born a criminal or born not a criminal.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers