Sociology SOC-R 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Role Theory, Erving Goffman, Ethnomethodology

19 views2 pages
28 Sep 2016
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Socialization is the process in which we attach and detach identities to ourselves. Social structure: patterned regularities that characterize human interaction and the abstract social boundaries, social structure shapes social interactions. Social positions: make up social structures, we call these social statuses (a. i. 1) (a. i. 2) Ascribed status : you are born with; such as gender or wealth. Achieved status: you achieve them; such as graduating and getting a degree and career (a. i. 3) Status set : list of all statues one occupies. Role: set of beliefs, values, attitudes and norms that define expectations shred by people in certain statuses the interact with other statuses. Attached to each status, is a role. Role strain: incompatibility among roles corresponding to a single status. Gender roles: set of behavioral norms assumed to accompany ones status as male or female. Symbolic interactionism: micro-level theory of shared meanings, orientations, and assumptions from basic motivation behind actions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers