ID 2415 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Structuration Theory, Peer Pressure

65 views2 pages
Chapter 6 Key Terms
Group Culture-The pattern of values, beliefs, and norms shared by group members, developed through
iteratio ad iorporatig eers’ shared eperiees i the group, patters of iteratio, ad
status relationships.
Structuration-the oept that a group reates ad otiuousl rereates it’s self through eer’s
communicative behaviors; the groups communication both establishes and limits how the group
develops.
Adaptive Structuration Theory-focuses on how the rules and resources of computer technology are used
in the structuration process.
Primary Tension-tension and discomfort in members that stems from interpersonal sources, including
the social unease that occurs when members of a new group first meet or during competition for power
among members.
Secondary Tension-Work-related tension found in the differences of opinion among members as they
seek to accomplish their task.
Fantasy-a statement not pertaining to the here and now of the group that offers a creative and
meaningful iterpretatio of eets ad eets a group’s pshologial or rhetorial eed.
Fantasy chain-a series of statements by several or all group members in which a story is dramatized to
help create a groups view of reality.
Fantasy theme-what the actual content of a fantasy or fantasy chain is about.
Symbolic convergence-the theory that humans create and share meaning through talk and storytelling,
producing an overlapping of private symbolic worlds of individuals during interaction.
Group Socialization-the social influence and change process during which both newcomers and
established members adjust to one another.
Antecedent phase-prior to group soializatio, the phase i hih group eers’ idiidual
characteristics affect their readiness and willingness to socialize members effectively.
Anticipatory phase-durig group soializatio, the phase i hih eers’ epetatios of eah other
and the group set the stage for what will occur during socialization.
Encounter phase-during group socialization, the phase in which member expectations meet the realities
and members begin to adjust to each other in actuality.
Assimilation phase-during group socialization, the phase in which members are fully integrated into the
group and its structures.
Exit phase-during socialization, the phase that encompasses the process members experience when a
member leaves the group or the group disbands.
Rules-statements prescribing how members of a small group may, should or must behave, which may be
stated formally in writing, or informally as in the case of norms.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Group culture-the pattern of values, beliefs, and norms shared by group members, developed through i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d i(cid:374)(cid:272)orporati(cid:374)g (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)ers" shared e(cid:454)perie(cid:374)(cid:272)es i(cid:374) the group, patter(cid:374)s of i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374), a(cid:374)d status relationships. Structuration-the (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)ept that a group (cid:272)reates a(cid:374)d (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)uousl(cid:455) re(cid:272)reates it"s self through (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)er"s communicative behaviors; the groups communication both establishes and limits how the group develops. Adaptive structuration theory-focuses on how the rules and resources of computer technology are used in the structuration process. Primary tension-tension and discomfort in members that stems from interpersonal sources, including the social unease that occurs when members of a new group first meet or during competition for power among members. Secondary tension-work-related tension found in the differences of opinion among members as they seek to accomplish their task. Fantasy-a statement not pertaining to the here and now of the group that offers a creative and meaningful i(cid:374)terpretatio(cid:374) of e(cid:448)e(cid:374)ts a(cid:374)d (cid:373)eets a group"s ps(cid:455)(cid:272)hologi(cid:272)al or rhetori(cid:272)al (cid:374)eed.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers