JOUR 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Goodreads, Buzzfeed, Amber Alert

47 views4 pages
periwinklelouse328 and 6 others unlocked
JOUR 101 Full Course Notes
JOUR 101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
12 documents

Document Summary

Cognition: activities of thinking, learning, understanding, and remembering. New info, meaning or message learned via media consuming the media. The strength of the effect . depends on the motivation level of the person consuming the. People who want to talk intelligently with other about media content learn from the med i. e. "what do we know today?" Surveillance is the news and information role of mass media. Warning surveillance (i. e. amber alert, tornado and earthquake) (any information th murders) Helpful/ instrumental surveillance (i. e. ads, buzzfeed tips, goodreads) Along with the news, the viewer receives the interpretation (what it means) How to get away with murder (makes you feel like a "bad bitch" Socialization is media"s function that tells us what to value in our culture (i. e. apple and new thing) Transmit values within a society, particularly appropriate behavior and attitudes. Media content can inspire emotions (i. e. horror movies=fear) Media content can create physical reactions, such as dilated pupils, rapid heartbeats, cryi.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers