BIOL 2051 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Lysogenic Cycle, Lysozyme, Cell Membrane

78 views10 pages
25 Aug 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter overview: recognition of host cells, viral entry and uncoating, viral replication, viral assembly and egress, antiviral drugs. Recognition of host cells: how do viruses recognize appropriate cells? a. i. Each virus has a specific range/type of cells that it can infect. a. ii. The range is dictated by interaction between viral attachment proteins and host cell receptor molecules a. iii. Host cell receptors are often molecules critical for cellular function (and therefore not easily eliminated to prevent infections): examples of receptor/virus pairings b. i. Lamb maltose porin lambda: ways that different viruses can attach to cells c. i. c. ii. Attachment spike from envelope attaches to receptor c. iv. Viral entry and uncoating: how do viruses enter host cells and uncoat? a. i. After attachment, mechanisms of viral entry vary depending on the type of virus and the host cell/organism. Chapter 8: viral replication strategies: entry of enveloped viruses influenza b. i. Endocytosis then fusion of viral envelope with host plasma membrane b. ii: entry of bacteriophages c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers