POLI 2051 Lecture : Lecture Ch6b

10 views3 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Mass media: technology that allows individuals to communicate efficiently with a large group and over distances. In political science we are primarily concerned with information media because it informs us as citizens. And from here on i will be using the term media to describe news sources. Controlled media - candidates control the content of the message. Advertisements the first presidential television ads were aired in 1952. Positive (acclaim): self-praise, i will improve education i will work for a prescription drug benefit . Negative (attacks): criticism of opponent, my opponent opposes tax cuts for americans . Defenses: responses to attacks, the accusation that i will raise taxes is simply false . Eisenhower ran a series of spots titled, eisenhower answers. America. these ads were short (20 seconds) and most ads since have been 30 or 60 seconds. Occasionally we have seen the use of longer ads, even half hour infomercials. Early days sold candidates like products jingles and cartoons.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers