AMS 207 Lecture 12: AMS 207 Notes 5-3

28 views3 pages
11 May 2017
Course
Professor
Assimilatation: Park and the Chicago School (1910s)
- Fous o Assiilatio: how to iorporate iigrats dual eaigs: to ake like ad to
iorporate
- Park is most concerned with stability he viewed urban industry life, with it heterogeneity,
individualism, and anonymity, as inherently unstable
- Immigrants, because they are new and not rooted, were even more unstable.
Park on Assimilation
- For Park assimilation signals diversity: individuals become more complex and part of more
complex social wes. “iilar to the oteporary atio of hyridity, where differet ultures
iterat uder differet ultured iterat uder a shared set of ruled “o assiilatig does’t just
ea eoig Aeria. It eas eig Aeria as well as other thigs. It’s doe y
hoie ad ehaes a perso’s hoies.
- But ethical and racial prejudice complicated incorporation.
Global and Local: Belonging
- Culture and heritage are increasingly separated from place meaning that in some sense
nationalism has been deterritorialized and diasporas increasingly characterize local populations.
- Increased mobility and migration bring up the issue of belonging (citizenship) in communities
both national and localized.
- Culture is increasingly independent of place, but incorporation is still adjudicated by the state.
Modern Assimilation
- Today scholars think about assimilation as more complex process
- Ethi optios
- But more recent immigrants face racial differences more than in previous generations, and they
face a different economy: segmented assimilation
- Potetial to egage i a oppositioal ulture.
- Multiple allegiances
American Studies
- Along with polysci, AMS has been one of the most eager to adopt transnational perspectives in
plae of ethodologial atioalis.
- Some new perspectives: imagined communities how do we imagine ourselves as part of a
community? Country? State? Family? Quite simply how and why do we imagine what groups we
belong to?
Steger: three globalisms
- To Steger, an ideology is a framework for disussig a oheret piture of the world ot oly as
it is, ut also as it ought to e.
- As such ideology offers a vison, a belief system, that provide the public with a set of values and
norms that inform discussions of globalization.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.