CSE 278 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Instruction Cycle, Turing Award, Computer Multitasking

17 views2 pages

Document Summary

Instruction cycle is not simple as it deals with hardware-orientated interrupts. Suspension of a process caused by an event often external to that process and handles in such a way that the process can be resumed. This mechanism is absolutely necessary as it allows processor to continue, while an i/o operation is in progress. Problem caused by program: exceptions (arithmetic overflow/underflow) Timer: multiprogramming requires a program to be given only slice of time. I/o: generated by i/o module indication completion. Hardware failure: fortunately, these are the rarest type. Handler: program that determines nature of interrupt and performs needed actions. Idea of having specialized processors has been extended. Gpu: graphics processing unit for fast floating point computations and gaming. Dsp: digital signal processors, embedded in many phones, to deal with streaming (video or audio) data. Instead of waiting for one instruction to execute, you overlap their executions. Concurrent execution of phases of instruction cycle.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers