COM 275 Lecture Notes - Single-Bullet Theory, Payne Fund Studies, Harold Lasswell

31 views21 pages
11 Apr 2014
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Understanding media effects: process of communication, different levels of communication. Interpersonal: mediated, mass, communication models, what is a model, a graphic means of explicating an abstract process such as communication, ex: shannon and weaver (1949) communication as process, linear models: stimulus-response psychology d. Interactive models: feedback and exchange: transactional models: giving and receiving, emphasize how messages are formulated, exchanged, interpreted, different models explain different media effects, what model to use, lasswell"s model (1945, attempts to answer the question: i. The established history: magic bullet model (1920s-1940) i. Institute for propaganda analysis, public opinion : limited effects (1940s-1960, army research, people"s choice study, effects of mass communication , moderate effects (1960s-1980, agenda setting, spiral of silence, dependency theory, powerful effects (beyond 1980s) i. In a limited context: nimh (television and behavior) Sweetbreads study: samuel stouffer, pioneered the use of empirical research i. Identify the circumstances, conditions, or variables that account for media effects and offer generalizations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers