SOCIOL 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Cultural Bias, Heteronormativity, Heterosexuality

33 views5 pages
27 Apr 2016
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Print and electronic means of communication that carry messages to widespread audiences. I. e. social media, newspapers, radio stations, news channels etc. A set of cultural beliefs and practices that helps to maintain powerful social, economic, and political interests i. e. disney: two people fall in love, mother/father dies. Stereotypes: an unreliable generalization about all members of a group that does not recognize individual differences within the group. Feminist perspective: women are underrepresented in media, media portrayal. Standards change in cultures over time- norms (change over time) are social. But with increasing globalization, standards are becoming more normalize. We do things intentionally and unintentionally that"s gives off our social status, an impression. Acting for the presentation of our selves to serve our best interest (fake sick, false condifdence) Physical (covered, i. e. hygiene, jaw line, bigger chest-men, women-big eyes, smaller cheeks, smiles more, show off body parts etc. ) We don"t exist without other people without us.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers