ESCI 401 Lecture Notes - Lecture 33: Shale Gas, Petroleum Reservoir, Continental Shelf

68 views3 pages

Document Summary

Examples: oil, gas, coal, oil shales, tar sands, hydrocarbons -- compound consisting entirely of hydrogen and carbon, examples: i, petroleum: Polyester, fleece i. ii: crude oil variety of heavy liquid hydrocarbon, natural gas gaseous hydrocarbon compound that"s most compound, oil and natural gas are formed in marine environments commonly methane. The breaking apart of pangea helped created shallow seas and sedimentation in sedimentary basins: sedimentary basins are often on continental margins. Than oil and 40% less: reserves = proven, resources = suspected, natural gas burns more cleanly, and emits 30% less co 2 , shale gas = fine-grained sediments with organic matter than coal i. ii. Hazards: cracking the rocks in order to extract the gas, groundwater pollution, waste water disposal a. Induced seismicity: fracking = hydraulic fracturing, formation of coal. Continued burial and heating i. e. : bog or peat marsh.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers