PSYC 3404 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Moral Reasoning, The Hidden Curriculum, Ego Ideal

87 views4 pages

Document Summary

Moral development: changes in thoughts, feelings, and behaviors regarding standards of right and wrong. Intrapersonal: regulates activities, within people (ex: what you are thinking, values, beliefs) Interpersonal: regulates social interactions and mediates conflicts (can be guided through your own intrapersonal thoughts) Heteronymous morality (4-7 years old): rules and justice are inherent and unchangeable properties of the world (ex: things are that way because they just are) Immanent justice: if a rule is broken, punishment will be immediate (ex: you reap what you sow) Domains of moral development (cid:894)ho(cid:449) other people (cid:272)a(cid:374) i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)t a (cid:272)hild"s (cid:373)oral thoughts(cid:895) Fa(cid:373)ily pro(cid:272)esses, relatio(cid:374)ships are i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t i(cid:374) (cid:272)hildre(cid:374)"s (cid:373)oral de(cid:448)elop(cid:373)e(cid:374)t. Social conventional reasoning: rules are created by social consensus to control behaviors and maintain society: arbitrary, subject to individual judgements. Ethical moral reasoning: emphasis on ethical issues; obligatory and is widely accepted. Distinction: our personal domain (ex: issues are personal it is bad to kill, but not in a war)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers