SOCL 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: The Sociological Imagination, Collective Consciousness, Contemporary Sociology

42 views2 pages

Document Summary

Sociology: conceptual foundations of sociology, the sociological imagination i. Mills: social critic, dramatic changes post-wwii i. Growing influence of elites: connection between personal troubles and public issues, correlation between big picture issues and how we may experience them on a more intimate level i. Sexual harassment victims often blame themselves and do not initially acknowledge that it is not just them experiencing this detriment ii. Larger forces that persuade us to make the choices that we do: attending college may be decided before you are born given the circumstance that it would be unusual to do otherwise, fundamental principles i. Things are often not what they appear: all people are susceptible to myths in the sense that false views persist at the fault of institutionalized interests, appearance distorts reality - correlation between mental illness and homelessness i. Homeless people may be perceived as mentally ill due to their circumstances and vice versa: develop deeper understanding beyond naive assumptions ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers