CM-UY 1004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: International System Of Units, Electric Current, Kilogram

21 views6 pages
25 Aug 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Small differences can lead to profound differences in properties: macroscopic realm of ordinary sized objects, microscopic realm of atoms and molecules, chemistry is the central science (central to understanding other sciences and technology, states of matter, gas a. i. Molecules are far apart and moving at high speeds, colliding with each other and container: liquid b. i. Assumes shape of the portion of the container it occupies b. iv. Molecules are packed together and move rapidly: solid c. i. Air, salt dissolved in water, sugar dissolved in water d. ii. Also known as solutions (liquid, solid or gas: properties of matter, physical properties a. i. Observed without changing identity and composition of the substance a. ii. Color, odor, density, melting point, hardness: chemical properties b. i. Way a substance may react to form other substances. b. ii. Does not depend on the amount of sample being examined and can be used to identify substances: extensive properties d. i.