HIST-UA 157 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Pope Gregory Vii, Sole Power, Excommunication

46 views3 pages
Department
Professor

Document Summary

A generous and noble ruler who was later considered a saint a. ii. Persecuted heretics and lead wars against the muslims: philip iv b. i. Tried to collect taxes from clergy lead to conflict w/ pope. His troops beat the pope and eventually he died: the estates general c. i. The body of french support rallied by king phillip which had representatives from the clergy, nobles, and townspeople c. ii. It never grew to the same power as the english parliament: holy roman empire and the church, pope gregory vii vs. holy roman emperor henry iv a. i. They had a very heated conflict over who should be able to appoint bishops a. ii. It angered the christians that the muslims were in control of their holy city, jerusalem a. ii. Pope urban rallied support for the crusades a. ii. 1. He wanted to possibly get rid of the schism a. ii. 2. Emperor alexius would get nobles to bring their people to fight: victories and defeats b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers