SOCIOL 2210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: O. J. Simpson, Confidence Trick, Outlast

19 views2 pages
exam 2- lecture 4
People inside the organization would have blown the whistle and news media would have been all over the university
meal plans
-News media is not all over the Ohio State University meal plans
when the Lantern does care it loses interest easily
Later TV Waste our loks o ore, U“G is i proess of teakig eal plas
a done deal, no need to worry says the news anchor
This has been going on for 16 years
1998 article = basically same as 2014 article
USG discusses meal and co op housing, want to survey students on meal plan, costs and food
2001 article
University meal plans make profit off of student leftovers, At OU they get cash back, at Cincinnati they get flex
oe. Wh does O“U ake a profit off of studet od if the do’t use all of their meal plans?
4 ideo ith U“G VP Leah Laure Diig “eries ho has ee so helpful
Dining Services has been stealing from undergraduate scholars for at least 16 years, dining services has made so much
money and plans on continuing to do to
Diig serie’s goal is to outlast urret usg represetaties, et ear e reps ill proal hae a differet
ageda suh as the alohol fueled rape fator ko as the irror lake jup
Would the Ohio State University really steal from undergraduate scholars?
OSU as their, undergraduate scholars as victims
Would our university initially protect a football coach, Mr. Tressel who lied and covered for his scholar athletes so
they could keep playing and his team could keep winning?
Tressel is now president of Youngstown State University
Would our uniersity initially protect our uniersity’s president Dr. Gee hen he as repeatedly adancing seriously
offensive comments about many individuals and groups; for instance, Catholics
Gee is now president of West Virginia University
1956 sociologist Harold Garfinkle wrote paper on Conditions of successful status degradation ceremonies
Our assessment of others can be dramatically lowered when someone goes a status degradation ceremony
ex: a criminally deviant act such as possession of illegal drugs
These people are forever outcast
Mr. Schliester --> con artist, convicted thief
OJ simpson --> has lasting stigma of murder trial
They were both affected by the status degradation ceremonies
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

People inside the organization would have blown the whistle and news media would have been all over the university meal plans. News media is not all over the ohio state university meal plans: when the lantern does care it loses interest easily. La(cid:374)ter(cid:374) tv (cid:862)waste (cid:455)our (cid:271)lo(cid:272)ks (cid:374)o (cid:373)ore, u g is i(cid:374) pro(cid:272)ess of t(cid:449)eaki(cid:374)g (cid:373)eal pla(cid:374)s(cid:863: a done deal, no need to worry says the news anchor. This has been going on for 16 years. 1998 article = basically same as 2014 article. Usg discusses meal and co op housing, want to survey students on meal plan, costs and food. 2001 article: university meal plans make profit off of student leftovers, at ou they get cash back, at cincinnati they get flex (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455). Wh(cid:455) does o u (cid:373)ake a profit off of stude(cid:374)t (cid:271)od(cid:455) if the(cid:455) do(cid:374)"t use all of their meal plans? (cid:1006)(cid:1004)(cid:1005)4 (cid:448)ideo (cid:449)ith u g vp leah la(cid:272)ure (cid:862)di(cid:374)i(cid:374)g er(cid:448)i(cid:272)es (cid:449)ho has (cid:271)ee(cid:374) so helpful(cid:863)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers