Legal Studies in Business
Course
LSB 3213
Professor
William Michael Schuster
Semester
Spring

Description
Tort Law A) Tort Law B) Tort – a wrongful act that causes injury to another C) Tort Law – compensates a party for wrongful acts done to them D) In a tort lawsuit, the court may ask: a. Has a party been wronged? b. What damages are appropriate? E) Compensatory Damages a. Special Damages – actual financial losses b. General Damages – compensates people (not companies) for nonmonetary damages (e.g., pain and suffering, loss of consortium) c. Punitive Damages – egregious intentional acts or gross negligence F) Intentional Tort – An intentional (volitional), wrongful activity that harms someone a. Must show – intent and harm G) Unintentional Tort – Negligent act that harms someone a. Negligence – A breach of a duty to act reasonably b. Must show – negligence and harm H) Standard of Care a. The way a reasonable person would behave I) Intentional Torts a. Intent – you must intend the consequences of your action i. There is no need to act with malice b. Types of intentional Torts i. Torts against the plaintiff's "person" ii. Torts against plaintiff's property iii.
More Less

Related notes for LSB 3213

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit