PSY 12000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Scientific Method, Psy, Body Language

55 views3 pages

Document Summary

Objectives: defining and describing psychology, history of psychology, modern day psychology. Defining and describing psychology: psychology- scientific study of the behavior and mind a. i. Uses the scientific method in order to achieve an answer a. ii. Behavior- observable actions that can be directly measured systematically a. iii. Mind- (subjective) ex. sensations, thoughts, emotions: goals of psychology b. i. Modify- change the outcomes in positive ways: misconceptions about psychology c. i. The media strongly influences the audience to believe in something that isn"t true/real (ex. tv shows, movies) c. ii. *psychologists are best at predicting individual behavior as opposed to general patterns for larger groups of people c. iii. *psychology is no better or different than intuition or logic : what do psychologists do d. i. Psychiatrists- earn medical degree and can prescribe d. ii. Research and publish articles or journals about the human behavior and mind d. ii. 2. Different focuses/paths (ex. cognitive psych, personality psych) d. iii. Applying what is discovered into the real world: where psychologists work e. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers