MK 370 Lecture 20: SPSS

7 Pages

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MK 370
Professor
Chowdhury

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
SPSS – 9/25/14
Every line represents a person.
Every column represents a variable (aka a question).
String = both alphabets and numbers.
oFine for names.
Numeric = only numbers.
oFine for age.
Label = the question asked.
Data Coding: assigning numbers to responses.
oFor Gender: male is 1, female is 2
oWrite explanation in values.
SPSS – 10/2/14
Data Cleaning: making sure there aren’t any errors in data before you analyze.
oOut of range
EX: 3.5 on a 1-7 scale.
EX: 3 on age when there’s only 2 variables.
Delete the whole individual (row) from the dataset.
oFINDING OUTLIERS (mean – 3sd, mean + 3sd)
Analyze  Descriptive Stats Descriptive
Not for gender and age or demographics
Only for scalable variables
If we have an outlier, delete the individual from the dataset.
oMissing Value: blank
Do not delete the individual from the dataset.
Replace the missing value with the mean.
find more resources at oneclass.com
REPLACING MISSING VALUES:
Transform  Replace  Missing Value
Get rid of the old variable column.
oNORMAL CURVE: done for scaled variables only.
Analyze  descriptive stats frequencies
Charts  Histograms show normal curves
SPSS – 10/16/14
1. What’s the final sample size?
2. What’s the final mean for performance?
3. What percentage of the sample is male? Female?
FINDING MEANS:
oAnalyze  Descriptive Stats  Descriptives
FINDING PERCENTS:
oAnalyze  Descriptive Stats  Frequencies
4. Frequency distribution for class, MBA program
5. Sort performance in ascending order.
SORTING THE DATA:
oData  Sort Cases  Pick Ascending or Descending  Okay
6. Recode gender into: 0-male; 1-female.
RECODING THE DATA:
oTransform  Recode into the Same Variable  Old and New Values  Add 
Still Missing Remains Still Missing  Okay
oTransform  Recode into Different Variables  Name the Variables  Old and
New Variables  Range and New Values
7. Split individuals into two groups
a. Who has a higher performance mean, males or females?

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
SPSS – 9/25/14 • Every line represents a person. • Every column represents a variable (aka a question). • String = both alphabets and numbers. o Fine for names. • Numeric = only numbers. o Fine for age. • Label = the question asked. • Data Coding: assigning numbers to responses. o For Gender: male is 1, female is 2 o Write explanation in values. SPSS – 10/2/14 • Data Cleaning: making sure there aren’t any errors in data before you analyze. o Out of range ▪ EX: 3.5 on a 1-7 scale. ▪ EX: 3 on age when there’s only 2 variables. ▪ Delete the whole individual (row) from the dataset. o FINDING OUTLIERS (mean – 3sd, mean + 3sd) ▪ Analyze  Descriptive Stats Descriptive ▪ Not for gender and age or demographics ▪ Only for scalable variables ▪ If we have an outlier, delete the individual from the dataset. o Missing Value: blank ▪ Do not delete the individual from the dataset. ▪ Replace the missing value with the mean. ▪ REPLACING MISSING VALUES: • Transform  Replace  Missing Value • Get rid of the old variable column. o NORMAL CURVE: done for scaled variables only. ▪ Analyze  descriptive stats frequencies ▪ Charts  Histograms show normal curves SPSS – 10/16/14 1. What’s the final sample size? 2. What’s the final mean for performance? 3. What percentage of the sample is male? Female? • FINDING MEANS: o Analyze  Descriptive Stats  Descriptives • FINDING PERCENTS: o Analyze  Descriptive Stats  Frequencies 4. Frequency distribution for class, MBA program 5. Sort performance in ascending order. • SORTING THE DATA: o Data  Sort Cases  Pick Ascending or Descending  Okay 6. Recode gender into: 0-male; 1-female. • RECODING THE DATA: o Transform  Recode into the Same Variable  Old and New Values  Add  Still Missing Remains Still Missing  Okay o Transform  Recode into Different Variables  Name the Variables  Old and New Variables  Range and New Values 7. Split individuals into two groups a. Who has a higher performance mean, males or females? • SPLIT FILE: o Data  Split File  Organize Output by Groups  Groups Based On … Choose Variable … Define Groups  Okay o To analyze the variable per group: Analyze  Descriptives  Okay o Get the original file back: Data  Split File  Analyze All Cases  Okay 8. Insert Variables • INSERT VARIABLES: o Click a variable to insert the specified one above it  Edit  Insert Variable  Name the Variable  Data View  Add Data SPSS – 10/23/14 We’ll be tested on… • Data Cleaning • Descriptives • Testing Hypotheses o T-Test o ANOVA o Regression What Tests do we Use for Different Types of Hypotheses? • Group Differences: comparing groups. o T-TEST! o EX: what are appropriate age groups for different types of restaurants? o EX: what is the difference between business professionals from MBA program and from BS program? • IV leads to DV: prove an experiment (cause-effect) o REGRESSION! When IV (cause) is a scaled variable. o ANOVA! When IV is a not scaled - categorical variable or a treatment o EX: lack of brand awareness led to decline in Blackberry sales. T-Tests EX: Are males more satisfied than females with the steakhouse restaurant? • Split the data by “familiar restaurant” and then by “gender.” o Data  Split File  Organize Outputs by Groups; Groups Based On  Gender • Run a frequency on “satisfaction” and check the “mean” box in “statistics.” Output shows satisfaction means and frequencies for males and females, for each restaurant separately. o Analyze  Descriptive Statistics  Descriptives  Satisfaction • Unsplit the data. • We have to prove that the difference in means is statistically significant. o Use T-Statistic. • Independent Sample T-Test (compare two groups that are independent, not overlapping). o Split the data, run a frequency, unsplit the data??? o Analyze  Compare Means  Independent Sample T-Test  ▪ Grouping Variable (two groups you’re comparing): gender. • Define groups (use specified values -> enter coding for each group). ▪ Test Variable (what you are comparing among the two groups): satisfaction. o Read the first line of the independent sample t-test: equal variances assumed. ▪ The t-value is 3.197. ▪ We want to be at least 95% confident of the results. ▪ *If the absolute value of “t” is greater than or equal to 1.96, the groups are statistically different in terms of the test variable.* 10/30/14 – T-Test H1: the pepsi attitude mean is 2.1. • One-sample t-test (is a predicted value correct or incorrect?) o Analyze -> compare means -> one-sample t-test o Test value – predicted value o Test variable – the subject you’re predicting (attitude) o One sample statistics chart shows the actual mean of the data. o The one sample test chart shows the t-statistic, which is 19.97 in this case (and because the absolute value of t is greater than or equal to 1.96, there is indeed a significant statistical difference. o REJECT H1. ▪ I ran a one-sample t-test, and my t-value is 19.97. Because absolute value of the t-value is greater than
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit