01:830:338 Lecture Notes - Lecture 25: Asian Americans, Collectivism, Impression Management

37 views3 pages

Document Summary

April 5, 2017 - don"t forget to do the extra credit! Implicit: values not spoken but can be understood. Individualism -the individual is more important than the group: people are viewed as separate from each other. Us, austria, british: collectivism - the group is more important than the individual, we are overlapping. I am me and also intertwined with family and friends. My family thinks i am kind : ex. China, japan, venezuela western industrialized countries (triandis, 1989: collectivism, concern for others, harmony in conflicts, care for traditions and values, emotional resistant. Individualism: concern for self, competitive strategies, emotional expression. Independence and interdependence: markus and kitayama (1998, people have two fundamental cultural tasks: Interdependence- how we are affiliated with and engaged in a larger group: how we are connected to group. Independence -how we differentiate ourselves from that group. Individualistic cultures -independent construal of the self: self as autonomous , not influenced by others.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers