SOC 281 Lecture 1: Chapter 1

2 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 281
Professor
Wentling

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
9/1/16
Chapter 1-
Sociology of the family-
Sociological Basics:
1) Culture
a) Like “apps” on smartphones
b) Use to function in society and of useful things
2) Socialization
a) Installation of cultural software
3) Most formative socialization agent
a) Family
Social Norms- The informal rules, based on values, that guide what people do and how they
live.
Social Structure-
Agency: Enduring and regular social arrangements that guide or force human behavior.
Social Status- Social positions you hold in your life- often positions within social institutions.
Ascribed Social Status- Something you’re born with, given to you
Gender, racial status, class, age
Achieved Social Status
What an individual worked for
Causation- When one factor causes something
Correlation- Two or more things having a relationship
Social Role- How are you expected to behave given your social status
FAMILIES ARE WHAT WE THINK THEY ARE!
Defining Families-
We are bound legally and emotionally. As we occupy status, we learn according to
status what our role is.
Groups of related people, bound by connections that are biological or legal.
Family Authority-
Informal: Older grandparents, parents, older siblings
Formal: Divorced, underage, marriage, armed forces, emancipate, CPS
Ways government control families: Marriage, Birth Certificates
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
9/1/16 Chapter 1- Sociology of the family- Sociological Basics: 1) Culture a) Like apps on smartphones b) Use to function in society and of useful things 2) Socialization a) Installation of cultural software 3) Most formative socialization agent a) Family Social Norms- The informal rules, based on values, that guide what people do and how they live. Social Structure- Agency: Enduring and regular social arrangements that guide or force human behavior. Social Status- Social positions you hold in your life- often positions within social institutions. Ascribed Social Status- Something youre born with, given to you Gender, racial status, class, age Achieved Social Status What an individual worked for Causation- When one factor causes something Correlation- Two or more things having a relationship Social Role- How are you expected to behave given your social status FAMILIES ARE WHAT WE THINK THEY ARE! Defining Families- We are bound legally and emotionally. As we occupy status, we learn according to status what our role is. Groups of related people, bound by connections that are biological or legal. Family Authority- Informal: Older grandparents, parents, older siblings Formal: Divorced, underage, marriage, armed forces, emancipate, CPS Ways government control families: Marriage, Birth Certificates Families as an Institutional Arenas Institutional Arena- A social space which relations between people in common positions are governed by accepted rules of interactions. Theory- A way of looking at how society operates. Allows us to look at a single situation and take away multiple meanings. World view that researches put on like pair of glasses to see in new ways. Sociological Theorizing Systematic and build upon preceding sociological work --- why its different from day to day, casual theorizing Broad Perspective- Consentives Consensus perspective: a perspective that projects an image of society as the collective expression of shared norms and values Breadwinner-homemaker family: an employed father, unemployed mother and children Conflicts Conflict perspective: the view t
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit