Music
Course
MUSC 324
Professor
Matthew J Del Ciampo
Semester
Spring

Description
I.   Isicathamiya     a.   Vocal  music  from  South  Africa   b.   Mixture  of  traditional  Zulu  musics  and  Christian  choral  music/singing   c.   Comes  from  communities  of  (mostly  males)  migrant  workers  beginning  in  the   1930s,  many  of  whom  were  miners  and  factory  workers   d.   SATB  ensemble,  but  mostly  bass   e.   Workers  established  competitions  that  included  choreography,  costumes  and   intricate  footwork     i.   Genre’s  namesake  can  be  translated  and  interpreted  as  “cat-­‐like”     f.   Performances  and  competitions  were  a  way  for  black  South  Africans  to  musically   respond  to  human  injustices     g.   Lyrics  were  focused  on  topics  of  social  maladies     i.   Examples:  rape,  loss  of  jobs,  abuse  of  women,  HIV/AIDS,  and  hope  for  the   future     II.   Apartheid     a.   Government  sanctioned  racial  segregation  and  political/economic  discrimination   (1950-­‐1994)     b.   White  minority  passed  laws  restricting  where  non-­‐whites  could  work,  live  and   travel     i.   Separate  schools,  public  facilities  and  labor  unions  were  implemented     ii.   Non-­‐white  South  Africans  had  to  register  and  carry  ID  papers     iii.   Restrictions  limited  social  interactions     III.   Soloman  Li
More Less

Related notes for MUSC 324

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit