PSY 217 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder

29 views8 pages
19 Jan 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Abnormal psychology- describe, predict, explain and change abnormal behavior. 4 d"s: deviance violates norms/socially unacceptable, danger - to oneself or to others, distress - usually has to cause this to be diagnosed, dysfunctional- interferes with everyday life. Jerome frank- therapy"s 3 features: sufferer, healer, series of contacts (to continue recovery) Rush (state hospital in: recovery rates dropped. Usa: prejudice hypnosis to heal against mental patient disorders. Humors- bodily chemicals that influence mental/psychical functioning: imbalance causes psychological problems, illness = natural causes. 1. correlational- degree that events vary w/ each other: epidemiological population i. Use of control and experimental groups that already exists (independent variable: natural experiment i. Nature manipulates intendent variable, observed not changed: analogous experiment i. Researcher induces abnormal behavior in lab: single-subject experiment i. Single participant is measured before and after manipulation of in. var. Underlying psychological forces that are not consciously aware. Make assumptions and adopt attitudes that are inaccurate. Cognitive therapies to recognize/ change faulting thinking.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers