ENV-0007 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Environmental Science, Logistic Function, Ecosystem Services

16 views3 pages

Document Summary

Exponential- increase in population over time: caring capacity. The maximum number of individuals of a population that can be (cid:373)ai(cid:374)tai(cid:374)ed i(cid:374)defi(cid:374)itely (cid:271)y the e(cid:374)(cid:448)iro(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)tal goods . Chaotic- growing, reaching carrying capacity, may overshoot it because organisms are figuring out the limitations of the e(cid:374)(cid:448)iro(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t, de(cid:272)reases, the(cid:374) (cid:373)ore resour(cid:272)es so i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease : no rhythmic pattern. Cyclical: rhythmic oscillation around the carrying capacity. Damped oscillation: levels out over time, becomes closer the carrying capacity over time, will eventually become cyclical (most likely) Crash: crash and perhaps eventual extinction. Available resources so the hare population increases, more hares so lynx increases, then the lynx overeats, hair goes down, resour(cid:272)es i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease, hare goes up . Some sort of predatory, disease, environmental stress causes this: density dependent population osculation. Increase in time until carrying capacity is met. Maintained indefinable- ability of an ecosystem to provide the quality and quantity of the goods and services overtime: ecosystem service- maintained. Water quality frog population: population predictability.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers