Psychology
Course
PSY-0001
Professor
Yvonne Wakeford
Semester
Fall

Description
Social Judgment and Heuristics Social cognition ­ The process through which we notice, interpret, remember and use information to make  judgments and decisions about the social world ­ The way we size up ourselves ­ Determine: Who am I? What am I doing right or wrong? Successful? Capabilities? o Self­esteem, self­efficacy ­ The way we size up others o Ingroup vs. outgroup ­ The way we size up the world o Comparing values Forming Impressions ­ Theory of Thin Slices (Ambady and Rosenthal) o Students arrive at ratings for teachers after watching 30 seconds of silent content­ free video are right consistent with end­of­semester ratings ­ Primacy Effect o Not all incoming information counts equally o Information that we see first have a greater weight o Confirmation biases  Selective perception (ex. speed dating) ­ Self­Fulfilling Prophecy o Behavioral confirmation biases  Positive and negative effects  Teacher experiment (Rosenthal) • Randomly chosen students became bloomers (increase in IQ) due  to favorable treatment from teachers o First impressions are very powerful Explaining Behavior of Others ­ Attribution Theory o A description of the way in which people explain the causes of their own and  other people’s behavior o Consider: man is rude to his colleague  Dispositional (internal) attribution • This man is hostile o Conclusion: I don’t like this man  Situational (external) attribution • This man was poorly evaluated o Conclusion: sympathy o Attributions made when something unexpe
More Less

Related notes for PSY-0001

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit