Psychology
Course
PSY-0001
Professor
Yvonne Wakeford
Semester
Fall

Description
Research Methodology ­ Unifying theme: psychology is empirical o Adoption of scientific method ­ Theory o A model of interconnected ideas or concepts that explains what is observed and  makes predications about future events ­ Hypothesis o A specific prediction of what should be observed if a theory is correct ­ World events, personal experiences, past research findings, logic and common  sense▯Theory▯Hypothesis▯Empirical research (design a study, collect data, analyze  results, draw conclusions)▯Theory is supported, discarded, or revised and retested ­ Research Methods o Archival Studies  Examining existing records of past events (i.e. crime rates in certain cities) o Case Studies  An in­depth investigation of an individual subject (i.e. Patient HM) o Correlational Studies  Correlation: a statistical measure of the extent to which two variables are  associated (i.e. SAT scores and GPA; GPA and height; Cocaine use and  hours of sleep) o Descriptive Studies  Naturalistic observations • Observation of behavior as it occurs naturally in real­world settings • No intervention o Experiments  A study that tests causal hypotheses by measuring and manipulating  variables  Independent Variable • Any variable that the researcher manipulates in an experiment • The proposed cause of change in the dependent variable  Dependent Variable • A variable that is being measure in an experiment • Proposed to be affected by the independent variable
More Less

Related notes for PSY-0001

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit