For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
The Invention of the Idea of Race & Begin Scientific Racism
Policy & Politics Law
- This “trinity” plays a major role in how we think about differences in race.
- There are legal precedents.
-Laws set certain terms (ex: Who is entitled to specific types of benefits).
-Politics is the vehicle of how these laws get passed through.
-Science plays a part because it’s not just social or cultural.
- Religion and economics play a part in this trinity, as it was used in the interest of those
- The frontier was an economic, social, and religious endeavor.
Manifest Destiny: American Indians (Desmond & Emirbayer 2009)
● Manifest Destiny: “By God’s will, this is what’s supposed to happen.”
- In the movement to the West (Americas), the expansion to the frontier was
significant to the “average American” because it signified that one could be stable
and support their family.
- The economy was changing and there was a need for new resources; thus this
lead to Marxism.
- They found labor through non-white groups.
- Natives became a “social” problem because they wanted to take the West.