PSYC 353 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Phallic Stage, Oedipus Complex, Attachment Theory

38 views3 pages

Document Summary

Theory of person- how person became to be who he/she is. Id: contains instincts (sex- positive caring feelings including sexuality- and aggression, primary process b. i. Primitive wishes and urges- want to get what we want b. ii. Incapable of thinking the best way of getting what we want and not hurting ourselves: all of energy comes from here- steaming caldron of excitement , pleasure principle d. i. Function- to relieve tension and seek pleasure- id operates of pleasure principle. Starts at birth: unconscious- not aware of anything f. Involved in thinking, planning, testing reality, delaying gratification b. ii. Functions according to reality- not pleasure: reality principle c. i. Values standards, strives for protection and moral judgment, sense of moral judgment a. iii. 1. All three of the parts go in harmony- things can go wrong. Some impulses are too strong that ego isn"t too strong enough danger then criminalizing anti- social personality disorder. If id is too strong, problems as well not a good, thinker, planner.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers