POL 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Consociationalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Territorial Nationalism

24 views2 pages

Document Summary

We can see that people have multiple identities. Identity = social label ascribed to an individual or group that locates the person/group in society more broadly. In comparative politics we are often i(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) people"s (cid:374)atio(cid:374)al ide(cid:374)tity (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h lo(cid:272)ates the(cid:373) i(cid:374) relationship to their membership in a nation (a group that is sovereign and equal, large and usually geographically bounded) Nationalism: view that the world is (and should be) divided into nations. Genocide: policies to diminish or destroy a people and their culture. Primordialists think all human societies are innately nationalist as this is necessary for society to function, possibly for evolutionary reasons. Modernists think nations are a recent phenomenon related to development: structuralists see nationalism as conducive to capitalism and a modern economy. Perennialists fall somewhere in between these views. Civic nationalism: you are a member of a nation if you are a citizen of that state (ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers