PSY 307 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Cultural Psychology, Collectivism, Ingroups And Outgroups

8 views2 pages
2 Jul 2019
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Reflective of sources of one"s sense of identit. Subjective culture: patterns in self-statements shared by an interacting language community. All statements made by a person, overtly or covertly, that include the words i, me, mine, and myself . Assessment of self by others in general. Assessment of self that references some specific group (often an ingroup in which one has a membership, related to social identity") Probability each one is referenced, which depends on which culture. A sense of self as autonomous and independent, with priority given to personal goals . A sense of self as more connected to groups and interdependent, with priority given to group goals . Interdependence, obligations, and duties to a group. Certain variables that are so strongly definitive of culture that differences in them strongly reflect cultural differences. Corollary: individual differences on these certain variables within a culture may be relatively uninteresting. On the principle that they are primarily culture" level variables.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers