SYG 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Vegetable Juice, Social Learning Theory, Ladylike

35 views5 pages
15 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Panchal
Bhakti Panchal
Reaction Paper #2
Professor Partin
10 November 2017
Are You Encouraging Your Son to Be Active More Than Your Daughter?
Step 1:
This article is about how boys tend to be more encouraged than girls when it comes to
being more physically active. There are many factors that influence how much kids move. It can
range from unstructured play such as recess or even organized sports such as soccer. The article
talks about how children should receive support to be active which can have a significant impact
on whether they meet physical activity guidelines that recommend kids and adolescents to
engage in an hour or more of physical activity a day. Parents should be encouraging their kids as
well and go to watch their games for support. However, “research finds that often the support
kids receive from parents to be physically active is lopsided with boys getting more support than
girls.” This is an example of sexism which is an ideology that justifies prejudice or
discrimination based on sex, typically reaffirming the notion that the male sex is superior to the
female sex. In this article, it states that boys are clearly given more encouragement than girls to
be physically active. For example, at school sports team’s coaches give a lot more attention to
the boys rather than the girls. Not only that, you can even see salary differences between a
woman and man. According to CNN, the average salary for WNBA player is $72,000 which
does not include bonuses and benefits while the average salary for an NBA player is around $5
million which describes how sexism even plays a role in sports since a boy is being more
encouraged to play a sport than a girl.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Panchal
Furthermore, a term that caught my attention from the title was the term stereotype which
are images of a racial or cultural group that are held by many people whether they are true. This
is a very good example of this article because many people think that boys are supposed to be
more active than girls and because of that, “it is evident that parents with boys will be more
likely to support their child’s physical activity, than parents with girls.” According to the article,
Experts say it is important for parents to reflect on anyways they may be perpetuating gender
stereotypes and focus on building long-term physical activity habits in boys and girls. A good
example of a stereotype is the case about one girl not being able to play on the football team
because “football is not a sport for girls,” or “girls are not fit enough to be on the team,” girls
shouldn’t even play hardcore sports since it is not for them.” The expectation of femininity
upshots women being prevented from lifting weights, sweating, and participating in sports.
Personally, I do Martial Arts, and my grandparents came up to me asking, “Why are you playing
such an aggressive sport? Mostly boys do Martial Arts, not girls, trying something more elegant
like dance.” Society expects women to cook, raise children, and complete the housework, act
“ladylike.”
According to research, it shows that parents who are more active themselves can model
healthy physical activity behavior to their children. The term that relates to this is social learning
theory which means that people learn by observing others and explains new behaviors, values,
and attitudes. If children watch their parents themselves be physically active and they will
probably do the same so in this case, parents also need to focus on them on health too. For
example, ever since I was little my dad would always wake up in the morning and go ride his
bike in the early morning and drink his vegetable juice, after my brother and me observing him,
we too also started waking up early in the morning to go exercise.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

This article is about how boys tend to be more encouraged than girls when it comes to being more physically active. There are many factors that influence how much kids move. It can range from unstructured play such as recess or even organized sports such as soccer. Parents should be encouraging their kids as well and go to watch their games for support. In this article, it states that boys are clearly given more encouragement than girls to be physically active. For example, at school sports team"s coaches give a lot more attention to the boys rather than the girls. Not only that, you can even see salary differences between a woman and man. Furthermore, a term that caught my attention from the title was the term stereotype which are images of a racial or cultural group that are held by many people whether they are true.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers