SYG 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Prosocial Behavior, Playtime, Virtual Community

33 views3 pages
15 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Panchal
Bhakti Panchal
SYC 2000
2 October 2017
Study suggests an hour of video games a day makes kids better-adjusted
This article was about kids who play at least one hour of video games a day will make
them well-rounded adults. The study found that, compared to children who didn’t play games,
the 31 percent of console gamers and 36 percent of PC gamers who played for up to an hour a
day demonstrated greater satisfaction with their lives and fewer issues with aggression,
depression, anxiety, and withdrawal.
In paragraph five of the article, it states that “games may bolster adjustment by providing
rewarding experiences that dispel negative affect, inspire prosocial behavior, foster creativity, as
well as broaden, self-concept and build social connections. I agree with this statement written by
Dr.Andrew Przybylski because according to the study more people were able to socialize better.
Socialization is the process of learning and internalizing the values and beliefs, and norms of our
social group, by which we become functioning members of society. An example that I will be
relating through this paper will be about my brother since because he does play video games
almost every day he has started his own video game club. Through this, he socializes with his
fellow peers.
Furthermore, Charles Nelson claims that “more people than ever are playing games
which automatically gives you some time to connect you with your friends or classmates. My
brother created a video game club in his school to share common attributes which are known as a
group because he formed a club with a collection of people who share some attribute and interact
with each other. Also by creating a group by playing video games, he also created a social
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Study suggests an hour of video games a day makes kids better-adjusted. This article was about kids who play at least one hour of video games a day will make them well-rounded adults. In paragraph five of the article, it states that games may bolster adjustment by providing rewarding experiences that dispel negative affect, inspire prosocial behavior, foster creativity, as well as broaden, self-concept and build social connections. Dr. andrew przybylski because according to the study more people were able to socialize better. Socialization is the process of learning and internalizing the values and beliefs, and norms of our social group, by which we become functioning members of society. An example that i will be relating through this paper will be about my brother since because he does play video games almost every day he has started his own video game club. Through this, he socializes with his fellow peers.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers